Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Back into the POS business

Last night became a night of "must escape the boredom".    The boredom of what?, you say…  he he.  Well, those agents in Osmon.  They have something like seven different missions.  A couple of them are against the Amarr, so I always decline those.  One other is that blasted "The Anomoly" thing that takes forever and has zilch for loot.  (I need to quantify.  It takes forever in a Marauder that is fit with a Micro Jump Drive as its propulsion module).

Unfortunately, the escape turned out to be hanging two POS's because I messed up and hung up a small one at first which would not fit the Mobile Lab, Advanced Mobile Lab, Ammunition Assembly Array, and Equipment Assembly Array that I wanted to hang on it.  Being an Amarr Small, it was 100 CPU short of the necessary 1400.  So, back to the medium.  Of course, I had already installed a copy job in the AML on the first POS, so I have to wait for that before I can take that one down.

In the system where I did this, I went from moon to moon.  I found seven POS hanging and three of them had force fields up.  Now, I fully realize that there are folks that hang a POS and leave it as an insurance policy.  The requirements to be able to hang a POS in hi-sec being what they are, you have to anchor them when your standings are good, and then if you get a nasty War and have to retreat and abandon the POS you were using, and your standings have slipped too low, you can just pick up and use the POS that you have had sitting there in space for the past umpteen months waiting for that eventuality.   I'm not one of those folk.  So, I'm in the process of researching these dead sticks.   Maybe I'll declare war on them and help rid space of the detritus of failed experiments.  Or maybe, since I obviously found two moons that were not currently inhabited, I'll just file that away for something for someone else to deal with…

I do have to say, that it would absolutely be nice if CCP provided a mechanic that we could use (besides the War Dec and hang out shooting a dead thing for days) as a small corp to rid space of these things.  Perhaps a mini-hacking game to obtain the control of the tower so we could take the modules that got left behind and the tower.  It always seems such a shame to have to destroy the tower to get the modules.

Anyway… off to dream...

2 comments:

  1. Still don't know why people use them, such a click fest, and I haven't seen a way to use them well yet and recover fuel costs. At least not without multiple characters running everything on it 24/7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People use them for specialized purposes. While Invention, Time Research, and Manufacturing queues are readily available in high security space; Copy and Material Research queues are not.

      With a small corp, putting a small/medium POS out in a High Security back water can solve your Copy/Material Research issues for your industrial members (yes, if you are one-character corporation - don't bother, you can't possibly manage to recoup your costs)

      Delete